Thursday, March 5, 2009

California Runnin’

Wow! What a great week of vacation in San Diego, CA. My wife and I were lucky enough to spend 5 days in San Diego with some very dear friends and had great time catching up and of course enjoying some fantastic running. San Diego is known for some of the best weather in the country and this past week it did not disappoint, temps were in the 70’s with a couple of days hitting the 80’s. I almost felt bad when I would call back to check in with the kids here in Virginia. . . almost.

We were staying just a little north of San Diego in Escondido and I had easy access to some great trails. On Thursday, I had a great 20 mile run on the middle section of the Coast to Crest Trail. After training for 2+ years in Virginia, it was amazing to run on trails that had no rocks. The Coast to Crest Trail follows the San Pasqual Valley, this valley was almost completely burned out about 2 years ago by wildfires and the damage is still very evident with scarred eucalyptus trees throughout the valley. But life blooms anew and the abundance of early spring wildflowers made for a beautiful run. The relatively flat and rock free trail led to a faster pace that left me a little sore the next day.
Saturday, I was able to cover the Lakes Hodges portion of the Coast to Crest Trail prior to heading to my Godson’s baseball game. This was another great trail and the run totaled about 13 miles. After running in cold weather for about 5 months it was awesome to feel the heat of the sun and generate a good sweat. During the rest of the visit I was able to have a couple of great runs with one of best friends; you can’t buy time together like this. We ran trails around Poway lake and had a great run in Rancho Penasquitas Canyon. I believe that the running bug has overtaken Randy, as he mentioned a couple of times to me that he was thinking about running the Rock and Roll Marathon in San Diego this summer. Here is the link, http://www.rnrmarathon.com/home.html the time to sign up is now. Randy, thanks for the company, it was good to run with you again.

So the California trip ended a good month of running and I topped the 200 mile mark for the first time this year. The incorporation of some Fartlek training is making a difference in my overall conditioning. I plan to continue with the Fartlek training as well as starting some tempo runs. I am running in the Seneca Creek Greenway 50K on Saturday, with the intent of running hard. I would like to use this race to measure were I am physically and assess what areas I need to concentrate my training on. I will be providing a race report early next week. Run Strong!

God Bless and Semper Fi,
Huffer
Training for 23 Feb-1 Mar: Weekly Mi (44.2), Monthly Mi (202.7), Yearly Mi (361.2)

Mon: Off
Tues: Lift and Abs / Precor EFX 546 CrossRamp (5.7 mi / 50 mins)
Wed: Off
Thurs: 20 mi – Coast to Crest Trail
Fri: 5.5 mi – Lake Poway Trail
Sat: 13 mi – Coast to Crest Trail (Lake Hodges)
Sun: Off

No comments:

Post a Comment

Site Meter